'You're a bit gardening mad, aren't you!'

This was the statement offered to me the other day as I munched happily on fresh carrot and tomato.


You see, I conducted an experiment whereby in May I had sown some carrot seed, to grow some carrots - something I've had little success with in recent years. So when I came across a blog that recommended you sow them into a 2 litre soda bottle, this aroused my curiosity.

The method is simple, use a 2lt plastic bottle, with the top removed, put some holes in the bottom of it and fill with some nice compost. Sow 3-4 carrot seeds and place into a coldframe or cool greenhouse. Water it. Wait 3-4 months, occasionally watering; et viola, carrots ready for munching.

Well this is what I did.

It was particularly successful, even though the weather was terrible for carrot growing this year (they need a minimum regular soil temperature of 10*c). I went and removed a carrot from the container during the week, washed it and subsequently ate it (the carrot!) adding a few sun warmed fresh tomatoes into the mix too.




Delicious.






On offering a bite of my fresh tasty carrot, the above is what was said to me.
She's probably right.

Happy Gardening!

Comments

  1. I shall have to try that because I've had no luck growing carrots in the ground or in containers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margaret, I would be interested to hear how you get on. It certainly worked well for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea! Carrots are popular with little kids, but they can't often resist pulling them up too soon.. This way, we could suspend them from the pergola until they were ready for harvest :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa, suspending them from the pergola is taking it to a whole new level! Looking forward to the pictures

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment