Butternut Squash

This is the fruit of a little labour in growing some Butternut Squash (Cucurbita moschata)

Last May, as we prepared one for some soup, a few seed were extracted and sown.

To my surprise, they germinated quite quickly and after a couple of weeks I hardened off the seedlings and planted about 3-4 plants out.

They sat for quite some time, looking like they weren't doing very much, although I suspect the roots were developing and the plants were strengthening themselves.
Once the very warm weather came, the plants sent out large arms that I tied upright to a temporary support structure.

The flowers were in abundance from mid-July onwards, so it was very pleasing to see at least one develop, and there are a couple of more potentials.

With the weather turning cooler, it will be interesting to see how things develop.

For now though, I'm enjoying the fact that this one is doing so well.

Happy Gardening.

Comments