Onion planting time

Onion planting time again!

This year I took a slightly larger space, that was originally grass, beside where I had my onion bed last year. 

My first task was to clear away the bits & pieces and then trim the grass, which had grown a little long over the Winter. 

There, that's better.

Now, if you've read some of my other posts, you know I've little faith in the quality of soil, and generally prefer to bring in fresh compost and develop raised beds. 

Now this is easy to do. 

Simply cover the tightly cut grass area with a 3-4 page layer of newspaper, cover with 3-4 inches of compost and there you go. I also added in some organic fertilizer - fish, blood and bone meal in this case.

I leveled out the area, threaded it with my well worn boots and dampened the space and let it settle. 
The boards are there to walk on, and allow me to frame the area very nicely.
Ideally you might leave the soil for a number of days to allow it settle so much more ... but I don't have that patience!

So, in the sets go, making sure the pointy  bit faces upwards and you leave the tips showing just above the soil level ... et viola ... all done!

Comments