May update on the production garden

As you might know from previous post, there is an area that has evolved over the past two and a half years that I now call the production garden. This is where the fruit, veg and salad crops are grown. It is a space that is changing and evolving and although I have a good idea of how I want it to eventually look, I am quite happy with the stage it's at.
As you might be able to see from the photo, I am in the process of covering a portion of the area. This is to protect the crops from the passing wildlife. Last Summer, I know in was loosing berrys to the birds, the wasps really enjoyed the grapes, and of course caterpillars had an enjoyable time on the brassicas. 

I do think it's quite ambitious to cover such a big area, particularly given the winds we have here, so perhaps this framework may have to be de-netted come the late Autumn time. 

We'll see.

What I do have growing includes onions, red and black currants, rhubarb, raspberries, loganberries, grape, gooseberries and a fine bed of strawberries. 
I have some fruit trees (apples, pears and cherry) in containers that I'll be planting over the Summer. Watch this space for those developments.

I have seedlings of sweetcorn that I'm trying and a whole batch of salad leaves being organised in containers. 

I will be growing more broccoli later in the season, and I have seed potatoes I'm going to so very late in order to try for a December crop.

Needless to say the tomatoes are growing away in the glassshouse. I did think I would have peppers in there at this point, but not so far. 

It won't be too long before the first of the homegrown sun warmed tomatoes are harvested, and that is something well worth waiting for!

Happy gardening.

Comments