Onion growing rewards ...


A picture speaks a thousand words, so here's a picture of one of the larger of the crop grown this year. 

I know I keep saying it, but there was little work involved, and there was a great return. Here's the blog I did when planting them earlier this year: http://hughcassidy.blogspot.ie/2014/03/onion-planting-time.html

And, here's a picture of some of the crop, now that they've had a chance to dry out and are ready for storage.


These will be stored in the garden shed which is frost free and not liable to mould or damp, which is ideal. We'll draw from this stock as needed, and I expect we won't need to buy any until early next Spring.

The next question is what about 2015 & where will I plant the next crop. I have some ideas on this, but that's for a different day. Rotation of onion growing areas is important, and I won't be planting onions in this space for at least another 3 years to avoid build up of pests and diseases. 

Through chatting with people, it's interesting to hear how they grow their onions, whether it's from sets or seeds, types of soil they have, and the methods used. So plenty to think about over the Winter months.

In the meantime, there'll be an onion or two enjoyably consumed.

Happy gardening.

Comments