Lime green volunteers and lost puppy’s

As always, with the spring bulbs all but finished and the summer colour not quite in yet, the question of what provides interest during early summer can be seen in the staging area. 

Overseeing the courtyard and staging area is the
Carex elata ‘Aurea’ on the outside windowsill

There is a particular combination of three plants that really do catch my eye, as pointed out by one of my Twitter friends recently, and interestingly it’s not because of their flowers. I’m talking about the lime green foliage of the Eounymus ‘Emerald’n’Gold’(mid staging level, second plant to the left of the round stone), the bright Heuchera ‘Lime Marmalade’ (just to the left of the copper bowl Bellis), and the Carex elata ‘Aurea’ on the windowsill. Among all the colours that are in the staging area, these three jump out capturing this lovely quality of light we have at this time of year, and show up so well against the range of other greens and flowers.

Was this a deliberate cunning plan to ingratiate the staging with these mellow stars of yellow deliciousness? I can honestly say yes and no. 

The Euonymus is a must for every garden, at least one per household should be a government regulation*. What is there not to love about its fresh spring subtle golden growth, its toughness in the face of anything and everything nature throws at it, and the fact it’s evergreen too ! What more could anyone ask ... flowers, scent and berries I hear you say ...okay okay you could pick holes in my soliloquies adoration of such a humble plant, but you get what I mean. 

Eounymus ’Emerald’n’Gold’ on the upper shelf overlooking the Heuchera ‘Lime Marmalade’

I was delighted to come across the Carex elata ‘Aurea’ at the garden shop I visit. It had been bought in last summer among a collection of other grasses for sale. This one just popped out as the star of the show, and yes there were other beauties of green and blue, but this sang the song of my plant collecting heart so clearly above the rest and has been rewarding us with its eye catching foliage and form since. 

Finally, the third in this group is the Heuchera ‘Lime Marmalade’, and boy what a beauty. Over the past twenty years I have seen the varieties of Heuchera expand and expand, taking in so many wonderful colours. I think it’s fair to say, regardless of your colour tastes, there’s one to fit the needs of everyone in the audience. I have had the purple variety on a number of times, and each autumn/winter it has suffered the same vine weevil fate. However, this destiny will not stop me persisting in trying to own a Heuchera for more than a twelve month period, and ‘Lime Marmalade’ is the latest to attempt this. It has been one I’ve had my eye on for a while now and fortunately this volunteer appeared in my hands at the till of the garden centre as I walked through loudly stating I had nothing to declare. The shop assistant and I had a momentary standoff, with her stating I had this Heuchera in my hands, and me completely denying the fact I had selected it and that it just failed to leave me alone, following me about the place like some lost puppy. She cleverly outwitted me when she asked would I always leave lost puppy’s behind ... well done her ... and thus the Heuchera joined us.

Also continuing the lime green colour topic in a more subtle way at the base of the staging, is the unusual xFatshedera lizie, with its leaves of green borders and lime centres. And then there’s Nandina domestica ‘Fire Power’ just to the right of it (although I think colour in this instance is more to do with requiring a bigger pot) , and flowers Bally in this section is the Platycladus (Thuja) orientalis ‘Aurea Nana’. a perennial favourite here that I fell in love with many years ago during my early horticultural days, and one that I’ve always had a version of in each of my gardens over the years.

So there you have it, my lime green volunteers and a lost puppy, forging this thread of colour through the staging area at this time of year, and adding to the over all impact of colour and interest in the courtyard. If you have any lime green or subtle yellows in your garden worth noting, do mention them in the comments below.

As always, thanks for stopping by and reading.

Happy gardening,

Hugh

* of course this should not be a government regulation, a ridiculous statement to make ... Lol ... although these plants along with many others are well worth growth ng in any garden


Comments